I have never been big on New Year's resolutions, but the start of
January and a brand new year does present the opportunity to reflect on
the previous year and look ahead with expectation and even a few goals.
As I was thinking back over 2012, one of the things that stuck out to me
was the way I have seen my siblings dig deeper in their relationship
with Jesus. They have impressed me and encouraged me, surprising me
sometimes with the depth of their faith and in a sense, challenging me
in the same way.
Based on that, I started to look at my own relationship with The Lord
and was challenged to let Him be my sufficiency- and to learn and grow
in my understanding of what that means for me this year. I can be
stubborn and independent, hating to ask for help unless absolutely
necessary. Yet, even though I like to depend only on myself, there is
still a longing in my heart that is easy to fill with other things.
Truthfully only God can fill that hole, putting joy there that can bubble up and spill
over as I allow Him to work in my heart. One of the ways I have been
growing in this area is by reading more Scripture, and asking God to
give me an even greater hunger for His Truth. I don't want devotions to
be just another check-mark on my "good things done" list, but rather one
of the tools that God uses to teach and guide me. I have found so far
that the more I read, the more I want to read. Sure, there are plenty of
things that can distract from that time with God, but when I see it not
just as a task but rather my lifeline, it becomes so much more
important.
Did God challenge you with any New Year's resolutions? How are you growing in your relationship with Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment